Layering Investigation

Layering Investigation
In class we were given a lot of artists to base our investigation on, and while we were supposed to only focus on one person and their works, I found interest in a specific work of art by each of them, and decided I'd base my investigation on that. I'll start with

Sigmar Polke
Related image
To be honest I was immediately drawn in when I saw this image. There's something that was so mesmerizing about this piece that it kept grabbing my attention even when there was about 10 other works also showing on that part of the Google Image page. The title of this work is Magnetische Landschaft (Magnetic Landscape in English). I couldn't find more on the specific painting, other then it was created in 1982, however I did find a website detailing Polke's biography.
He was born in Poland, 1941, but quickly had to flee with his family after the expulsion of Germans after the second world war. I think these events heavily influenced his art, because from what I read a lot of his art had to do with political commentary. I was unable to find what led him to create this painting, but I did read he also enjoyed painting mundane things with a unique twist on them, so perhaps that's all this is. Either way, I loved his layering on this painting and find it mesmerizing.
David Salle
Image result for david salle
I really enjoyed the layering done on this piece as well as the clashing of several different art styles. Obviously there's the layering of The Great Wave Off Kanagawa with a picture of a cup of water on top of it. I see what I assume is religious imagery (given that the title of the piece is After Michelangelo, The Flood), with a bunch of modern technology and inventions layered on top of it, like a lighthouse, a helicopter, even a ring buoy. It provokes a lot of thought and I think of it as him predicted another flood like in the story with Noah's Ark, and assuming how humans would react to it.
(image won't load so for reference image just look up the title in a separate tab on Google.)
Julie Mehretu
Image result for julie mehretu
I thought this piece was very simple yet very beautiful. I can't find any description about what it's about it, except that it's titled The Residual. I love how the strokes are layered onto what I believe is some sort of huge sentient being. Honestly it just looks simply beautiful, and while I can't find substance it's stylistically amazing.
Takashi Murakami
Image result for takashi murakami
I don't have much to say because personally I wasn't the biggest fan of Murakami's work, I just thought this was very stylish and vibrant and cool to look at.
1.) What have you learned about layering?
I have learned that while there are artists that have a lot of substance to their layering, layering is more about style and making things look cool. I think this is honestly different in filmmaking however, which I will speak about later.
2.) How do contemporary artists use the concept of layering in their artwork?
Like I stated before, they use the concept to make some really interesting pieces that provoke a lot of emotions, however I don't feel that they really provoke thought.
3.) How might you be able to use layering in your own art?
Personally I think I'd only use this to show memories or dream, or to draw parallels between two characters, but even then I'd be more likely to just separate the clips unless I was trying to fix the pacing of the film.

Is there something that you found in the investigation that specifically interested or inspired you? 
The piece of art that spoke to me the most was the piece by Polke. I love how simplistic yet beautiful it looks, and the lack of meaning behind it. It makes me think of a director like Zack Snyder or Michael Bay. They aren't exactly plot geniuses however their sense of style is incredible, with movies like 300 and Transformers that looks absolutely incredible, yet I couldn't tell you the plot if I sat down for hours trying to remember. Perhaps trying to use layering in a unique way could give my films the sense of plot I want them to focus on, but give each of them a sense of style.

Bibliography
Polke, Sigmar. “Magnetische Landschaft.” Frieze, 2016, frieze.com/event/sigmar-polke.
Polke, Sigmar. “Sigmar Polke - Magnetic Landscape.” Paintings Reproductions - Handmade
Reproductions of Famous Paintings - Museum Oil Paintings, en.wahooart.com/@@/A262RT
Sigmar-Polke-Magnetic-landscape.
Salle, David. “After Michelangelo.” Artnews, 11 Nov. 2018, www.artnews.com/2018/11/07/david
salle-touches-god-seldom-seen-paintings-going-parrish-art-museum/.
Mehretu, Julie. “The Residual.” Artsy, www.artsy.net/artwork/julie-mehretu-the-residual-5.
Murakami, Takashi. “Shangri-La Shangri-La Shangri-La Pink.” Artsper,
www.artsper.com/en/contemporary-artworks/print/409672/shangri-la-shangri-la-shangri-la-pink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Production Blog Post

Understanding Plato's Allegory of the Cave

End of Marking Period 2 Blog Post