Hybridity Investigation

What is hybridity?
(copying notes from my sketchbook)
  • Combinations of different art forms into piece
  • Incorporating as many forms as necessary
  • Allows for unexpected to occur
Alan Becker
Alan Becker is an animator I remember from my childhood, who created the Animation vs Animator series (which I will link at the end of this), and I definitely didn't expect to see him in my high school art class. The most unique part about his animations is obviously the sentient animations he creates that fight against his cursor. The animations eventually evolve and start to make the browser come to life, as well as things like Minecraft and League of Legends. This was all fascinating to me when I was younger because I didn't even think something like that could happen on video, and I was watching a computer screen similar to mine be filled by stick figures fighting each other and Firefox becoming a legitimate fire fox. The animation to this day is still kind've incredible to me and I actually keep up with (most) of Alan Beckers videos, keeping notifications on.
His Work

Hybridity Questions:

  • What have you learned about hybridity?
Mostly I have learned that hybridity can be used to make really cool and unique projects. Like the Animator vs Animation series, combining elements or the real world with elements of the digitized world makes a really interesting series that still is going on to this day.

  • How do contemporary artists use the concept of hybridity in their artwork?
I think most use it to enhance their artwork, make it fresh and thought provoking. Thinking "Wow, how did he/she do that?"

  • How might you be able to use hybridity in your own art?
I could communicate with one of my friends that use animation and we could collab to make a really interesting film.
  • Is there something you found in your investigation that specifically interested or inspired you?
Well, the artist I chose Alan Becker is really inspiring because this was something he used to just do casually, and it was still high quality which is what I hope to do. I don't enjoy the idea of doing this as an actually career because this is something I do for fun and I love having full creative freedom of what I create. I feel that his latest videos haven't been as interesting as his work becomes more and more of a job and I think it really speaks to my thoughts on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Production Blog Post

Understanding Plato's Allegory of the Cave

End of Marking Period 2 Blog Post